RSS
I am 41 years old, and I am a WAHM with two teenagers, a grade-schooler, and a toddler. I juggle cooking, writing, PTA, diapers and design on a daily basis. I work for a pittance and I never get a day off. Crazy? Yes! Rewarding? Absolutely! Challenging? All the time. Would I trade it for anything in the world? No thanks...
ads

What Mompreneur Really Means

According to Wisegeek, http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-mompreneur.htm , mompreneur is a newly coined term for women who establish businesses at home while also acting as the full time parent of their children. The mompreneur movement is one steadily growing in the US as mothers try to find ways to make money, express their creativity or business acumen, and also to parent their children.
This is my secretary, sporting the latest fashion... Panty Hats.
Ok, so cut the crap... What mompreneur really means is that you get up at the butt-crack of dawn, wake up disgruntled, sleep deprived children, and hopefully get them off to school with their teeth brushed and hair combed, wearing clean clothes. You have your toddler hanging off your boob while you try to type an article, all the while avoiding flailing feet that are trying to drum on your keyboard. When home, your teenager comes in the office (which happens to be a corner of the laundy room) every five minutes because you just have to see this Slipknot video on YouTube. You check your email. You discover your article has been rejected because you used the word boob in an article about breastfeeding. You see another article has been approved, and rejoice at the $1.99 that has been deposited into your PayPal account! WooHoo, get that breastfeeding one approved and you may have enough money for a frappachino from Starbuck's. You express your creativity by venting about your family on your blog, and practice your business acumen by trying to keep your grocery budget down to under $500 a month for a family of five, including diapers! You parent your children by turning on Yo Gabba Gabba for the toddler, and keeping a 4-pack of Monsters in the fridge to help the teenager stay awake and get his homework done. Your true business hours are between Top Chef and 3 am in the morning, which is when you have the least amount of distractions. Crazy? Yes! Rewarding? Absoulutely! Challenging? All the time. Would I trade it for anything in the world? No thanks... I have worked for someone else since I was 14 years old, and I love being my own boss, being able to do PTA (yea, they actually let me do that.. who knew?), be home when the kids are home from school, and listen to whatever music I want while I work!

About Me

Sunday, October 15, 2006

I am 41 years old, oh.. wait... umm, I am 42 years old.  I worked for nearly twenty years as a graphic designer for various printing companies and two school districts, where I managed the district print facilities.  I always thought that would be my path, and I enjoyed working outside the home.  However, call it Karma or whatever, things didn't exactly go as planned.

I have two teenagers from "My Once Upon A Time When I Married Someone Because I Wanted
White Picket Fences and The Leave It To Beaver Life."  Well, turns out the hubby wasn't Wally Cleaver, the white picket fences turned into a foreclosure, and my two children have experienced more trauma than most people experience in a lifetime.  My daughter has chronic auto-immune disorders including Ulcerative Colitis, liver disease, thyroid disease and hormonal problems.  My son was hit by a truck November 2nd, 2007 and just had his most recent (and hopefully last) surgery on October 7th, 2009.

I have two younger children, a 2nd grader and a toddler.  My youngest is my good luck charm, born 8/8/08.  While I was pregnant with her, my two oldest children had major surgery... on the same day.. at two different hospitals in San Francisco.  I made it through that, missed a lot of work trying to get kids to follow-up appointments and physical therapy.  My pregnancy was high risk, and I was having to go to the doctor two or 3 times a week for monitoring.  During all this, I tried to maintain my job, but eventually al the nights and weekends trying to cram in hours became to much for me.  My doctor put me on disability, and I took a break... Finally...

After the baby was born, I thought I would try and go back to work.  However, my employer's business had been slowing down over a long period of time, and when I was ready to go back, there wasn't enough work to go around.. (that's ok really... her checks would often not clear the bank, but the unemployment checks always clear).  My area is now inundated with out of work graphic artists looking for work, starting sign shops, grubbing for freelance work, so in all reality returning to my prior career probably isn't going to happen.  So for the sake of my children, my family, and my sanity, I am diversifying and exploring the possibilities of the WAHM.
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS